When is the Beatrix Farrand Garden at The Bellefield Mansion in hyde park open, and is there an admission cost?

The garden is open from 7am to Sunset, 7 days a week. The only days the property is closed to the public are Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day.  Admittance to the garden is free of charge! (Donations are welcome)

When is the best time of year to visit the Garden?

The garden is usually in peak bloom the last two of weeks of May and the first couple of weeks in June when iris, peonies and foxgloves proliferate. But the garden is also beautiful throughout the year as blossoms sequence from the Christmas rose and early bulbs in March to the asters and anemones that often are still blooming into early November. Even in winter when the garden is covered in snow the strong forms of the garden read clearly and the “bones” of the garden can be fully appreciated.

Where should I park?

As you enter the Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site from Route 9, follow the signs to the main parking lot. You can get to the Garden by following the signs through the Wallace Visitor Center and out the back door. Those who require handicap parking may park in the parking area at the Bellefield Mansion – the yellow building that you see as you drive in.

Can I bring my dog?

You may bring your dog! We ask that you follow these requirements: 

  • Your dog must be on a leash.

  • You must pick up after your dog

  • Please keep your dog out of the garden beds. 

Can I have a picnic in the Beatrix Farrand Garden at Bellefield?

We would highly recommend that you have a picnic in the Garden! It’s a wonderful place to enjoy a beautiful day. We request that you take away all that you bring in (there are no garbage receptacles in the Garden – there are some elsewhere on the grounds). Feel free to bring a blanket to sit on. 

Can I have my wedding here? Can I bring my wedding photographer to take formal pictures in the Beatrix Farrand Garden at Bellefield? 

Our Garden is located on National Park Service (NPS) property. To have an event or bring a professional photographer, the NPS requires you to submit a Special Event Permit application. For more information and to obtain an application, please contact Michael Autenrieth michael_autenrieth@nps.gov or call 845-229-7770.